Renovating & remodelling the ground floor, master bedroom and balcony of a 1970’s double brick Sydney home located on the Northern Beaches. The house sits on the top of a hill set back from bushland, with ocean glimpses, 5kms from the beach.
We are a busy family of 4. Our kids are aged 6(girl) and 8 (boy) years old. We enjoy being active during the day and then coming home, filling our house with friends (who tend to come and swim and for a bbq and generally enjoy entertaining friends.
The house has not been fully renovated since being built in 1974. Our aim is to create a more open plan family friendly home where we can easily entertain family and friends. We love the “Hamptons” design style.
We are looking for designs aimed at “middle to upper range budget.”
We are happy to knock down and rebuild walls and windows/doors within reason. We can park our cars outside the house in the driveway and so are happy to take some space from the garage if needed. We have low ceilings at 2.4m high (anything that can make the ceilings feel higher would be great). Flooring is a challenge 70% of the ground floor has existing floor boards that have been polished and stained, the remaining 30% (In the Kitchen and Hallway the old owners have tiled on top of the floor boards) We certainly dont want to keep the existing tiles in the kitchen and hallway.
I have included; house plans, a video and pictures of the house in the attached files. I have also included pictures of designs which we like as a guide.
1. Open plan through to TV room so that I can see the TV and family whilst cooking.
2. Need to be able to see in to the kid’s room from the kitchen so I can see what they are doing.
3. Want to be able to have easy access to the outdoor patio area for entertaining
4. A Pantry
5. Appliances Oven, gas cooker, microwave, dishwasher.
6. Space for a blender, coffee machine, milk warmer, toaster and kettle on the bench top
7. Needs new floor covering as existing tiles are old
1. New floor covering as existing tiles are old
2. New front door
1. Mantle piece and gas fire/heater
3. Sit 6 comfortably
Kids are 6yold (girl) and 8 (boy) years old and this room is really for them to chill out with their friends. They love board games, Lego, dolls, drawing, books, but also Wii games and movies. This room is really for them as they grow up where they can play in. But also I would like to be able to see in to what they are doing!
2. Sofa seating for 4 minimum
3. Storageor to make it feel bigger
4. Would be nice to make bigger if possible .
5. Balance between being able to see them but also them feeling like they have their own “zone”.
1. We have an existing table, which are 2.2m long x 1.2meters wide
2. Shelving/detail to the room, at the moment it is very bland with just the four walls.
3. Wine cabinet/shelving area would be great
4. Like to be able to sit 6/8 people minimum
6. Integrate with patio at side of the house overlooking the pool.
1. Washing machine, separate drying machine
2. Laundry basin
3. Loads of folding space and storage for cleaning items and stuff
1. This bathroom is used a lot, by kids and adults and so it needs to be really easy to clean and durable.
2. Shower, Toilet and storage for toiletries and cleaning products
Master Bedroom & Balcony
*The bedroom already has an ensuite bathroom and walk-in-robe which has already been renovated.
1. Bedroom is very bland at the moment needs shelving/cabinetry, detail to add some style to it.
2. The bed is a large super king which is 2m x 2m
3. The balcony is large and reduces light into the kitchen below. One idea was to reduce the size of the balcony to a Juliette Balcony whilst still being able to maintain the light and air into the room. As the room faces the sea there are partial sea views.
1. Somehow be able to cover the patio, give it a roof/retractable cover so that we use the area even when it rains. Also making sure that we keep as much light to the kitchen as possible.
2. Or create an outdoor living area flowing off the kitchen