A coastal city in southern China inquires a building to house composite programs of both rock climbing and yacht trading and display. On top of these two fundamental programs, there are couple supplemental programs: a film studio and expanded exercise spaces or classrooms. However, spaces for supplemental programs may not need detail design.
I. Climbing Gym Requirement:
1. Required floor height: 16-18m; have to comply international rock-climbing design standard.
2. Rock-climbing program types: bouldering、speed climbing and lead climbing. The bouldering wall is 4meters high and 20 wide; four speed climbing and four lead climbing walls are required. They are 15m in height and 2m in width each.
3. Independent auditorium areas for adult and children, overlooking the rock-climbing area.
4. Other supporting programs: management office, facility storage room, changing room and shower room.
II. Yacht Trading Center Requirement:
1. Three floors in total;
2. First floor is 8m high, in an area of 1400m2 for displaying large yacht.
3. Second floor is 5m high, in an area of 900m2 for displaying small yacht.
4. Third floor is 4m high, in an area of 900m2 for functional programs.
5. A loading platform is required on the second floor for loading of small yacht directly from exterior.
6. Functional programs in the second floor include but not limited to 80m2 classroom or 60m2 meeting room, 4 management offices, as well as resting areas or viewing platform.
7. Elongated elevation along main street facing east should be transparent for visual interaction with yacht display from the street.
8. Better located in the first floor.
III. Film studio Requirement:
1. 15m in height and acoustically insolated.
2. Not compactable with two above-mentioned programs. It is reserved for potential future program expansion.
3. Could be located in upper floors.
IV. Optional Programs Requirement:
1. Considering an elevated bridge connection on second floor between the building and existing sport center complex is encouraged, but not a must.
2. Reserved spaces for future climbing gym expansion may include classrooms, exercise rooms and meeting rooms etc. Actual programs are indecisive in this stage.
V. Building area and Site Area:
Refer to CAD drawing for buildable area and site boundary line.
VI. Environmental Characteristics:
1. The building is located in a coastal town.
2. The ocean is 1km away, on the south of the building site.
3. High mountain is 724m away on the north, where a high-speed driveway is set in between.
4. The west side of the building is bordering an existing high-school track field.
5. The building is facing the sporting center of the town on the east.
6. The climate of the town is typical tropical, hot and humid in summer, cold in winter.
VII. Other requirement:
1. We are looking for creative ideas of the project. The above-mentioned programs can be adjusted for good reasons.
2. It has to be a modern building.
3. Similar project examples: Allez Up Climbing Gym in Montreal, Canada; Brixen Interior Climbing Gym in Italy; Spordtgebouw Climbing Gym in Holland, designed by NL Architects.
4. The Height limit of the building is 24m.
5. This is an early proposal (or study) for our client. We will consider inviting the winner to further involved in later design process, depending on the practicality of doing so.
1. Basic drawings: site plan, floor plans, elevations, sections and analytical diagrams, renderings etc.
2. Supplemental drawings: optional as needed
3. Format: any format as appropriate to demonstrate your idea. However, the three winning entries will be required to submit original drawing files, including CAD, 3D models etc. as part of our submission to our client.
Please notice that this project is run by an architecture company in China. There might be an opportunity to collaborate with the winning designer at some capacity after the competition. In any case, in all situations, the winning designer will be always credited for the work.